Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC&R) is a significant cost to any home or business. This is especially true when it comes to commercial buildings and offices, where HVAC systems account for up to 50% of the energy usage and costs!
In today’s business-world, owners are trying to (and managers are expected to) do far more with far less. That is, less money, less time, and less resources. Business concepts like Return On Investment (ROI) and Value for Money (WFM) are more important now than ever before.
With such high costs involved and such a demand for cost-savings, how can we get smart with the HVAC&R systems in our businesses? There are 2 key ways; Routine HVAC&R Maintenance and Steril-Aire Installation.
There are many options available to a business when it comes to saving money with a heating and cooling system. However, it’s important to be aware that not all available options are equal, nor is there a one-size-fits-all solution.
It is a common misconception that a business will save money by reducing the frequency of their commercial HVAC services. For example, reducing from monthly servicing as per Australian Standards down to say quarterly or less. The short-term savings of decreased HVAC maintenance are far outweighed by the long-term implications and expenses, including but not limited to:
- Decreased efficiency of the heating and cooling equipment,
- Increased running cost of such equipment,
- Decreased compliance with acceptable Building Standards,
- Decreased compliance with tenancy agreement (where applicable),
- Decreased efficiency of other business equipment if not cooled correctly (e.g. IT equipment),
- Increased running costs of other business and mechanical equipment,
- Decreased lifespan of all equipment due to wearing out prematurely,
- Increased equipment replacement costs,
- Increased down time due to damaged or underperforming equipment,
- Decreased worker satisfaction and team morale due to such issues,
- Decreased productivity from people and equipment,
- Decreased HVAC system-related indoor air quality,
- Increased viral and bacterial spread in the workplace,
- Decreased compliance with health regulations,
- Increased number of sick days taken,
- Decreased health of employees in general, including poorer health outcomes,
- Increased incidence of chronic disease,
- Decreased compliance with Workplace Health and Safety requirements,
- Decreased customer satisfaction and repeat business,
- Decreased sales due to customer dissatisfaction and reduced productivity, and,
- Increased business risk due to all points listed above.
One of the most powerful solutions is to engage a commercial HVAC&R specialist to perform routine maintenance of all relevant equipment onsite. This way, the maintenance is set-and-forget; you can rest easy knowing that one major area of your business is under control without requiring constant attention.
Another powerful solution to ensure commercial HVAC&R systems are clean and healthy is UVC light installation. Again, the options available are certainly not all created equally.
The most powerful, effective, high quality, and evidence-supported UVC lamp on the market is Steril-Aire. Steril-Aire was founded in 1994 and is a global leader in Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) improvement and energy savings when it comes to HVAC&R systems.
This cleaning and maintenance solution could save you thousands, with return on investment (ROI) typically seen within 2 years (often within just 1 year!). The use of ultra-violet C (UVC) sterilisation in the Cairns Regional Council heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems is a prime example.
Steri-Aire is a single-ended, very high output germicidal ultraviolet-C (UVC) light emitter that can be installed in new and existing HVAC&R systems. It is designed to improve business operations and profits in countless ways, including but not limited to:
- Improved energy efficiency,
- Improved system operations,
- Improved indoor air quality,
- Improved human productivity,
- Improved mechanical productivity,
- Decreased energy costs by up to 15%,
- Decreased water usage,
- Decreased maintenance costs,
- Decreased need for AC chemical cleaning, and,
- Decreased sick-leave and down-time costs.
There are many UVC products on the market, but only Steri-Aire devices are engineered to work within HVAC systems in the presence of cold, moving air. It has also been independently tested to deliver up to 6 times greater output compared to other ultraviolet devices.
As a UVC sterilizer suitable for use in food and refrigeration settings, Steri-Aire can help manage mould and bacterial growth with major implications. This application improves the bottom line of such businesses in many ways, including but not limited to:
- Improved food safety,
- Improved quality,
- Increased production yields,
- Increased shelf-life,
- Decreased wastage, and,
- Decreased incidence of food poisoning.
How does Steril-Aire Work?
The C wavelength on the UV light spectrum attacks microbial DNA, destroys their cells, and prevents replication. By preventing reproduction, the microorganisms are inactivated and become harmless. The resulting matter simply washes away with the condensate (water) produced within the system.
Steri-Aire UVC light energy breaks down and inactivates biofilm, which otherwise causes significant HVAC&R operational issues and indoor air quality (IAQ) concerns. Biofilm is a slimy, sticky matrix of microorganisms and matter that builds up on coils, drain trays, and anywhere else where moisture is present.
Biofilm can be made up of many different forms of bacteria (often antibiotic-resistant), mould, fungi, and debris. It’s no wonder why it’s a major cause of health and operational issues in most HVAC&R systems.
The UVC emitter germicidal lamps also destroy viruses and bacteria that pass through an HVAC indoor unit. If not destroyed, these recirculate and spread throughout the indoor environment.
The high energy output of the Steril-Aire UVC devices, combined with the recirculating air in a typical HVAC system, facilitates the deactivation of large volumes of airborne microorganisms. This makes it an extremely powerful method of improving the health of both the HVAC system and people being exposed to it.
Where can you use Steril-Aire?
For these reasons, and many more, Steril-Aire UVC lamps are most suitable for use in, but not limited to, the following commercial and residential settings:
- Food processing,
- Agricultural product storage,
- Manufacturing warehouses,
- Research laboratories,
- Pharmaceutical production,
- Medical storage,
- Medical centres,
- Aged care facilities,
- Childcare centres,
- Schools and educational buildings,
- Shopping centres,
- Government facilities,
- Office blocks,
- Dirty work environments,
- Sites serviced infrequently and/or in an ad hoc fashion,
- Sites where access to unit, coil, and/or drainage is limited,
- Sites containing sick and/or vulnerable populations,
- Sites containing allergy suffers, including asthma, and,
- Any home or business where improved IAQ is desired.
As you can see, Steril-Aire is suitable in a wide range of settings for a wide range of applications in both homes and businesses. It’s high output, specifically engineered UVC lamps enable significant improvements in health and cost savings.
Return on investment and value for money are 2 key concepts that every smart business owner understands and seeks out in the current commercial climate. Routine HVAC&R maintenance and Steril-Aire represent investments that tick just about every box.
For a quote on commercial AC servicing and/or Sterile-Aire supply and installation, it is recommended to contact a commercial HVAC&R specialist. Ice Blast is a wholesale provider of Steril-Aire devices that can work with you to find the most suitable solutions for your needs.