Children, especially newborns, are very sensitive to sudden changes in temperature. This is because temperature alters them easily. For example, at night if they are feeling too cold or too warm they can wake up and feel distressed.
Remember that air conditioning can be very beneficial for your family, especially for your children, but only if you know how to manage it properly. Air conditioning is not harmful to the health of your children at all, but you have to use it with a series of precautions and not use it excessively.
If you make responsible use of the air conditioning, you can help your newborn achieve a better sleep. You can also keep him or her away from some diseases related to extreme heat.
Temperature and humidity
With the presence of very young children, it is necessary to control the humidity and temperature of the room where air conditioning is in operation. In other words, indoor climate control.
Remember that air conditioning is an excellent ally to be able to cope with the extreme temperatures of summer days and nights. In this way your child will be much more comfortable, thus enjoying a fresh and pleasant atmosphere and avoiding any bad experience related to extreme temperatures.
You just have to ensure that temperature and humidity are suitable as an atmosphere too cold and dry can affect the baby’s respiratory tract. A temperature of 25 degrees will be ideal so the heat does not negatively affect adults and there is limited risk of over-cooling in young children.
Keep in mind that as you are looking not to have a dry atmosphere, it is also necessary to avoid excess moisture. This is because moisture favours the growth of mould and fungi, increasing certain health risks.
The moisture at home should oscillate between 30 and 50%. Also, you must try to “air out” all the rooms regularly. To control these parameters, it is useful to have a thermometer and even a hygrometer at home.
Finally, it is preferable to have air conditioning throughout the house and not only in certain rooms. In this way, you and your children will avoid abrupt temperature changes, which can have a negative impact, especially on newborns. These changes can weaken the immune system of minors, which increases the risk of diseases.
Tips for using air conditioning when you are at home
When you have a newborn you must be careful with the use of air conditioning. If you are going to use it, keep these tips in mind:
- To avoid sudden temperature changes. The difference between the inside of the house or the car and the outside should not be very large. Ideally it should not exceed 10 degrees of difference.
- Do not place the baby near the air conditioning. If the cold air gets on the baby directly, this can make him/her ill. All the rooms should have the same temperature if the air conditioning is functioning properly, then there is no need to place the baby that closes to the air conditioning.
- Remember that excessive air conditioning of the indoors can cause stinging or eye itching and drying or irritation of the respiratory system. You must get some degree of humidity at home.
For this reason, you may choose to use a humidifier. That is, a container with water in the bedroom or use an air conditioning system that also regulates the humidity at home.
- If you use a humidifier, keep in mind that you should never surpass 50% humidity. Otherwise, this may encourage fungi to grow in the environment and induce baby allergies.
- Do not turn on the air conditioner and the humidifier constantly. It is important to leave time for good outdoor daily ventilation.
- Do proper cleaning and maintenance on your air conditioner, because pollen, dust, mites, and fungi accumulate inside the filters.
Tips for using air conditioning when you are not home
When you and your family leave the house there are some things you should do.
- If you have to go outside when it is very hot, turn off the air conditioner for a while before your children get in because they are now used to the outside temperature. As we have pointed before, you have to avoid sudden temperature changes.
- When you walk out with your new-born, you have to always put them in warm clothes. This is because you may go to a store, restaurant, or shopping centre where air conditioning has a lot of power and the temperature is typically very low.
- As for the air conditioning in the car, before getting in you have to open the windows so that the hot air goes out. Also, when using the car, you must be very careful with new-borns. You have to mitigate the heat with frequent stops and low air conditioning.
Benefits of using air conditioning for a new-born
Unstable temperatures at home and poor air quality can cause children to suffer from several health problems like skin irritations or rash, bleeding nose, scratchy throats, congestions, infections, itchy eyes and extreme fatigue, just to name a few.
Also, a new-born living in an overly warm place can experience psychological stress because their bodies are trying to regulate their internal temperature.
For this reason, an air conditioner can be the best ally for your children. It improves indoor air quality and keeps the temperature regulated. Keep in mind that the cooled air reduces humidity levels and mould in your home.
Air conditioning is designed to purify the air, removing allergens and pollutants. However, you can further improve your indoor environment with something like the Daikin air purifier.
Remember that a home air conditioner is greatly beneficial at any time of the year if it is used correctly. Getting adequate air conditioning greatly improves quality of life for people living there. This is especially true with energy-efficient air conditioners or more digital devices where you can easily schedule it to obtain a friendly environmental outcome.
Keep in mind that, especially in summer, you must use common sense to protect children from heat since they are not only more susceptibility to changes in temperature but also depend on adults to control everything related to their environment. This is especially true for newborns, who depend solely on adults for their health and survival.